She blamed her Yellow Box flip flops. I blame myself.
I blame myself because I know better. I choose my flip flops carefully to match
occasion and need, especially in bad weather.
As you may expect, many flip flops are constructed from
waterproof material like rubber, foam or ethyl-vinyl acetate. These materials are cost-effective, durable,
and a cinch to manipulate in design.
But while the ability to shed water is brilliant on top of
your foot, it can make things a bit slippery on the bottom.
Companies have latched on to user friendly materials to
create fashion forward flops like these:
While these shoes are very comfortable, and fun with any
casual outfit, the bottoms have little texture to create grip.
When these materials are exposed to water and force, like
when walking on a wet sidewalk, for instance, the material absorbs some of the
water. Then the shoe filled with water
sits on top of the sidewalk covered with water.
It is the flip flop equivalent of walking on ice cubes.
Point being, you fall down.
The better choice in rain is an adventure or beach flop like those
made by Teva or Reef:
Don’t put away the Yellow Box for good, though. Adventure sandals are perfect for bad
weather, but these shoes need a break to dry thoroughly. Long time wear can result in an unpleasant
odor. Sit them in the sunshine, the next
time you see it, and take the fashionable flops for a stroll.
No comments:
Post a Comment